BUILDING TO A HIGHER STANDARD
E. A. Knight Construction, Inc. – Founded in 1979
As we sat down to rewrite our new website we had to ask ourselves what this meant to us and does it truly apply to our way of doing business. Here are some observations that we made based on our own evaluation and the comments of our customers…
Our production staff truly cares about the satisfaction of our customers. Time and time again we get glowing reports about the kindness and attention to detail shown by our employees.
Our office staff works exceedingly hard to make sure our customers have a good experience with us. Many sleepless nights are spent thinking and rethinking of ways to improve our process company wide and on a job by job basis.
From our office & sales staff to our carpenters and laborers, we have folks who take a great deal of pride in what they do and it shows in the positive reactions we get from our customers.
Due to the large volume of remodel and repair jobs that we complete each year, we get to hear lots of horror stories about problems our customers have had with other ”builders”. That makes for good training on what NOT to do with our customers! You might say, we make a habit of learning from other people’s mistakes.
Ultimately, our daily motivation is to “do it” better than our competition in every respect. Whether that means quality of the finished product, compliance with state and federal building/energy codes, or how we treat our customers, we want to be the leader in our industry. There is no autopilot for this goal. It takes daily attention to detail to accomplish this task.
We have found that the best way to be of service to our customers is to help them whenever they need it. Help in times of need with repairs, in times of change with remodeling projects, and in times of starting over with new home construction. Our comprehensive approach has helped us develop a large network of devoted customers who are happy to refer our name to their family, friends, and co-workers. This had led to 35+ years of setting a higher standard in Southern Illinois!
Customer Service Is Job #1
All of our services begin with one thing – we are committed to giving our customers exceptional customer service. Customer satisfaction is an obsession with us that begins with your initial phone call. Here is an overview of what you can typically expect from our company:
– You will hear a friendly voice from someone who is glad you called, and eager to help. With a full-time customer service staff, you’ll always be able to talk to a real person 7:00 am – 5:00 pm every weekday.
– After a preliminary discussion of your project and scope of work, we will schedule an on-site appointment to review the project thoroughly. .
– Set an exact time for the appointment.
– Show up on time (or call in advance if delayed).
– Take measurements and gather information.
– Make suggestions – finishes, product selections, constructive advice, etc.
– Provide reference information (insurance, customer referrals, etc.).
– Recap – make sure we understand your request fully.
– Schedule – advise you how long it will take to prepare a proposal.
– Follow up – call to schedule the delivery of the finished proposal.
– As often as possible, we will prepare a proposal with a firm price (instead of an estimate, which is open to many cost adjustments).
– The proposal will contain a “scope of work” which is the broad description of work to be completed, and the full list of specifications for the materials (styles, finishes, etc.) to be used.
– Proposals typically range from 2 to 35 pages, depending on the size of the project.
– We attempt to be as detailed as possible, so no one has questions about what is covered in the total cost.
Upon accepting a proposal, we will prepare a contract that:
– Has the full project details.
– Covers all of the “legalese” that serves to protect all parties involved (Insurance, worker’s comp, payments, etc.).
– Establishes estimated project start dates.
– Can be altered. We use “change order” forms to reflect any changes (additions/subtractions) that you may want to make to the “scope of work.” This form will show what costs will be involved for your change, and your approval is required before the work will proceed.
It would be nice to go back in time to when a handshake would “seal a deal” but we have found that our contract documents have allowed us to complete hundreds of jobs every year. Everyone can rest easy, because the full details of the project are spelled out in black and white.
(Insist on this, regardless of whom you choose to build your project.)
– Our purchasing department will work with you to make sure that all materials are selected and ordered in a timely manner, so that projects can start and be completed on time.
– All special orders (windows, doors, cabinets, etc.) are customer approved prior to order, so you can be sure that you are getting what YOU want.
– We price shop our suppliers regularly, so we can offer you the best prices possible.
– We will assist you in your decision making process to relieve some of the “stress” that can exist.
– Our production department will schedule all of the trades necessary to complete your project.
– We will maintain contact and follow up on daily schedules to make sure that work is completed according to plan.
– We utilize a “Lead Carpenter” system. This means that there will be an on-site carpenter/supervisor who will complete the work and act as your direct connection to EAKC as the project progresses. You will be given this individual’s personal cell phone number and are free to contact him, as need arises. Of course, you can always call our office, which is open from 7:00 to 5:00, Monday – Friday.
– Our office will contact you periodically to make sure you are satisfied with the progress and our service.
During the actual building part of the process, you will find the following:
– Our employees are friendly!
– Our employees wear identifying clothing.
– We vacuum daily on remodels. We use dust curtains. We wipe our feet.
– We use up-to-date building practices- seismic & wind resistance, energy efficiency, etc.
– We are craftsmen.
If you want practical, we can do it.
If you want pretty, we can do it.
If you want “Now!”, we can do it.
If you want “SENSATIONAL!” WE CAN DO IT!!!
– We have good ideas. If our carpenters see an opportunity to save you a buck, or expand your horizons, they will share their expertise.
– We are proud. Our crews take pride in their work and our company’s reputation. They always try to improve both.
– When we finish a project, we will ask you to walk-thru the work to verify everything is completed to your satisfaction.
– We will complete any punch-list/touch-ups, as necessary.
– We will confirm your satisfaction, prior to final billing.
– As much as we would like to spread joy and cheer at no cost to our customers, we have bills to pay, as well.
– We will provide itemized invoices for work completed.
– We will be as detailed as possible, so that you understand what your payments are covering.
– We do not invoice in advance for work that is not complete. We will ask for deposits for the ordering of specialty items, and securing scheduling slots with subcontractors.
- We will make sure you are satisfied.
- After the job is completed and billed, we will ask you for your feedback so that we can praise our staff or improve the process.